My name is Phil Evans and I am licensed by the State of California as a Marriage & Family Therapist (MFT). My license number is “MFC41687.” I earned a Master of Science (MS) degree in Counseling with a concentration in Marriage, Family, and Child Counseling. I have certifications in Critical Incident Stress Management, Clinical Supervision, Aging Studies, Advanced Domestic Violence Intervention, and a Board Certification in Telemental Health.
My understanding of change and human relationships is influenced by Solution Oriented Therapy (sometimes called Possibility Therapy), Family Systems/Strategic Family Therapy Theory, and Systemic-Relational Theory. I often utilize techniques and interventions from Psychodynamic Theory, Motivational Interviewing, Cognitive-Behavioral Theory, Developmental Psychology, Existential Theory, and Psychoeducation.
I enjoy working in a variety of settings with experience working in community mental health, public and private high schools, continuation schools, an in-patient psychiatric hospital, county adult services, county children & family services, and county administration. I have experience teaching as adjunct professor in graduate level Family Therapy and Psychology/Counseling programs. Additionally, I conduct in-service training for multidisciplinary medical health care clinics, professional groups, and community based organizations. I routinely complete ongoing training, continuing education, and seek consultation to stay up-to-date.
The name of my practice is:
Evans Marriage & Family Therapy Corporation, Inc. and it is a California Professional Corporation doing business as
Phillip F. Evans, II, MS, Licensed Marriage & Family Therapist.
I am active in a variety of professional associations:
- Clinical Fellow, American Association for Marriage & Family Therapy (AAMFT)
- Approved Supervisor, a national designation of the AAMFT
- Professional Member, Association of Family Therapists of Northern California (AFTNC)
- Lifetime Clinical Member, International Family Therapy Association (IFTA)
- Clinical Member of The Psychotherapist Association for Gender & Sexual Diversity (GAYLESTA)
- Member, International Critical Incident Stress Foundation, Inc. (ICISF)
- Certified Critical Incident Stress Management (CCISM), University of Maryland Baltimore County (UMBC) Department of Emergency Health Services and the International Critical Incident Stress Foundation, Inc.
- Counselor Facilitator, Prepare/Enrich Program relational couples’ assessment and pre-marital counseling assessment (Prepare/Enrich)
- Board Certified-Telemental Health Provider (BC-TMH), a credential of The Center for Credentialing & Education (CCE), an affiliate of the National Board for Certified Counselors (NBCC). The BC-TMH credential identifies those professionals who are uniquely trained in best practices for delivering traditional behavioral healthcare through technological means. BC-TMH credential holders have met nationally established Telemental health criteria.
- Former President, Bay Area District: California Division of the AAMFT [District is now dissolved, pursuant to the AAMFT national restructure and bylaws update]
- Former Director, Board of Directors of the California Division of the AAMFT [Division is now dissolved, pursuant to the AAMFT national restructure and bylaws update]